Thursday, April 12, 2007

Me Again Once More

I’ve been retired for eleven months. Major life transition. I had no idea how much “catch-up” there was to be done after decades of more or less benign neglect. I retired May 12, 2006 and was certain I would have everything caught up and organized by July 15. Then I could devote serious time to writing. After July 15, I realized it might take as much as six months. When December came, I was on the verge of despair, but pulled back from that destructive mood. I now realized that I could not define the time required to bring a new order into my life, so I relaxed, decided to “go with the flow.” “Don’t worry, be happy.” However, the eight-ten weeks lapse in blogging nagged at my happiness. Now, neither completely caught up, nor solidly restructured, I do believe I have cleared a path wide enough and smooth enough that I can renew serious blogging. By my retirement anniversary, May 12, I have good reason to believe that I will have successfully made the transition from university professor to professor emeritorious. The continuity between these two parts of the book of my life is that I continue to be “He who provokes thought, who challenges the status quo.” That is about all that I am good for, except maintaining a faithful and richly satisfying relationship with Carol, a love that has been running now ever since the summer of 1950. If you want a challenge, an adventure, try to match that. It is more than worth all the effort.

No comments: