Monday, September 10, 2007

Can Online Religion Be Real?

Can internet religion be real? I was, for thirty-some years, a university professor of Christian studies (and philosophy); then I retired. From classroom teaching, that is. Thanks to a friend who asked me to move my philosophy classroom from the university to his blog, I continue to teach philosophy. Then I established a few blogs in my own name and continue to teach Christian studies. I must present a caveat: years ago I quit calling myself a teacher, for to be a teacher means there are learners. You can be a professor or instructor without learning taking place, but if no one is learning, teaching is not being done. I am not sure when and where the learning takes place, so, rather than teacher, I choose to call myself one who attempts to set up conditions that facilitate learning. The question remains: can real Christianity be studied by computer mediated communication? Does it not require face to face, eyeball to eyeball, connection? Connection of the kind where tone of voice, facial expression, gesture, and perhaps even a pat on the back are possible. Religion is personal. Can it be electronic and remain authentic? In the School of Christian Studies at the university from which I retired last year, I am told the answer is, “No.” I understand and appreciate where they are coming from. I also believe that Christianity at its best, at its fullest, is something lived out in the flesh rather than in cyberspace. In spite of my appreciation for Karl Rahner’s idea of the “anonymous Christian,” the follower of Jesus can neither remain anonymous nor confine their commitment to the realm of virtual reality. At some point it must enter the world of flesh and blood, the world of physical space and actual rather than merely virtual community. Yet, I must affirm that if Christian studies can, to a certain degree, be conducted in a university or seminary classroom it can be conducted on the web. If it can be done by means of words written on paper–Bible, theologies, pamphlets, etc.–it can be done, to a certain degree, electronically. Eventually, it must get out of the classroom, out of the books, and out of cyberspace, but it can start there. Or it can be educated there. And cultivated there. These have their place. And in the 21st Century, computer mediated Christianity has an incredibly large place, a place in which the School of Christian Studies at my beloved university, should establish a presence. I much prefer teaching in a physical classroom, with less than twenty–preferably only ten or twelve--students. This provides a wide range of conditions that make for better teaching. On the other hand, it touches a quite limited number, which is why the school always insisted on larger numbers in the classroom, classes of as many as forty or forty-five (larger universities hold classes with hundreds in the same auditorium). If we insist of “ideal” conditions for learning, we will cut out most of those who have the need to learn and the interest in doing so. I am aware that I have not yet learned how best to do it online, but I do have, from all over the world, potential students looking in on my virtual classroom. Some of them decide to attend regularly. Some of them study and think. So far their numbers are small, and they come from only ten different countries, but that is far more inclusive than the few who can afford the time and money, and travel the distance to attend university classes. Yes, online religion can be real, as many Christian institutions are aware. I hope it will not be long before my old school realizes they are being “left behind.” It is not too late to play catch-up. Not only can online religion be real, it remains true that religion at the corner church house can be real. From time to time, here and there, I have actually seen it. Old-fashioned “organized religion,” “institutional religion” is not always hypocritical, nor is it always dead. “With God, all things are possible.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think institutions would be more concerned with getting paid for the education of those learning than rather than if internet learning can take place.

Surgery is a very personal activity, but technology has provided the means of virtual surgery in which a highly trained doctor can help facilitate a doctor unfamiliar with the procedure in question. Or even a non doctor in the case of astronauts in orbit or on distant planets.

In my job, I routinely take part in virtual conference room meetings. With out ever leaving my desk, I can see and hear all of the participants as well as view any power point presentations, spreadsheets, or other data. We talk with each other (we raise our hands to be recognized with a click of the mouse. The other participants may be here in this plant or in plants out of state or even in other countries. Some of may have just eaten breakfast, some lunch, and others are ready for their evening meal.

An important issue of internet learning is the credibility of the presenter. In this case, I know you personally. But, information from an unknown presenter (by me), might cause trust issues (and, I suspect there is a lot of “misinformation out there).

Even if the lack of tonal inflections, body English, etc causes the quality to be less than ideal, I think there are advantages. Time management, ability to re-read, the ease with which the information can be shared (I often ask a friend to comment on some of your blogs) are just a few.

Let me close with a hearty “Thank you” for what you are doing!

WRoark said...

The credibility issue lies at the heart of any aspect of valid online religion.

Several years ago, I heard a speaker address an association of university ministerial students, and this was his opening question: What would I have to do in order for you to come to trust me?

I think I know something of how trust develops in ordinary (or at least in what used to be ordinary) relationships, but how is it established, how might it be established in computer mediated communication?

Neither can be firmly established quickly and firmly. That I know.

Anonymous said...

Well said.