Thursday, December 21, 2006

Former Students & Present Readers

The old saying is "Them that can, do; them that can't, teach; them that can't teach, teach teachers; and them that can't teach teachers go around the country giving lectures." I first heard this from a traveling lecturer. It has some element of truth in it. I am a teacher for three reasons: Divine calling, because I enjoy it more than almost anything, and because of the nature of my personality, I am a thinker and teacher, not a doer. I do have a quarrel and an argument that thinking and teaching are, in fact, doing, but that is another issue. That third reason means that in the realm of human society there are many things that I believe need to be done. Urgently and desperately need to be done. Most of that doing means changing from the conventional wisdom, the status quo, the politically, socially, and ecclestically correct. I don't know how to be a public change agent. I am a teacher because many of you are "can do" people. I know a lot of you and look up to you. I teach so that, perhaps some of you will catch a vision and effectively, persistently pursue it. That is what my teaching is about. That covers all three of my reasons for teaching.

1 comment:

LandA said...

Dr. Roark,

It really does the heart of this former student good to find you doing so well...and still teaching! I've noticed, by the way, that you are using the word "teach" to describe yourself now more than when you formally had the title Professor. Glad to now be a present reader.

From the other side of the world,
Landon